Monday, April 19, 2010

Tip of the Week

Good morning and happy Monday! Although I do not usually work Mondays but I am attending a Rotary luncheon with the Chief, so here I am. I thought it might be nice to have a tip of the week or something like it.

One of the things that I know annoy me when I am at home is door to door solicitors. I know everyone has to make a living but we often get calls about what we can do about them. I think more importantly I wanted to give some tips to keep yourself safe. I am a strong believer in the "No Solicitor" sign. I place it right next to my doorbell so they see it (which causes me to get knocks at the door instead). First off, yes it is illegal for a solicitor to come to your door if you have a "No Solicitor" sign but it is a civil violation, not criminal. I do believe that more often than not, door to door solicitors understand and respect the sign and they do not come to your door. If one does come to your door, first off, you are under no obligation to answer it. If the solicitor becomes aggressive with their knocking and you are fearful, please call the police. If you do answer your door, be careful. You really do not know who are you are dealing with. Take your phone with you to the door and please be safe. As I said above, if at anytime you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, close the door and call the police. We appreciate these phone calls because I guarantee you that you are not the only resident in your neighborhood that is concerned.

I hope that little tip helps you out! Have a good day and be safe out there!