Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Specialty Assignments and Vacation

Good morning everyone! I thought I would write a little bit this morning because as the title eludes, yes, I am going on vacation! This is my last day for a week or so. The Citizen Academy class graduates tonight, so I planned a vacation immediately after it ended. I will be off the the big apple for the first time and am very excited. I plan on eating my way through New York and just happened to be there during the last day of the NFL draft. I am going to go check it out because if you know me, you know that I put the FAN in fanatic. Sorry Niner and Raider fans, but it is the Tennessee Titans all the way! Okay, so off to department stuff.

Today, we are holding interviews for a Detective position. Unlike what most of you see on TV, Detective positions at most departments are not permanent positions. The big agencies like LAPD, SFPD, and so on have permanent Detectives. Our assignments are typically 3 years and we have a variety of Detective assignments. We have Crimes Against Persons, Crimes Against Property, Child/Adult Sexual Assault, DPU (Narcotics, Vice, Gangs), and the one we are testing for today, School Resource Officer or SRO. The Detective in this position was recently promoted to Corporal, so he needs to rotate back to uniform patrol. Corporal is a street level supervisor here, so it is important for him to go back to the street to obtain experience in supervision. We have three excellent candidates for the SRO job and I am confident that whoever is selected will do an excellent job! When I get back from vacation, I will have some news on who was selected and who will be the new SRO for the next three years.

Everyone have a great weekend and be safe. I will be back in a bit.

Lt. Dan