Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My New York Trip and Department Update

Good morning everyone! It is nice to be back home and although a little tired, it is nice to be back at work. I had a great time in New York and enjoyed seeing all of the various places that I had seen in movies over the years. I fulfilled my pledge to eat my way through the NYC. Wow, they have some excellent restaurants there! I think the toughest part of the trip was going to ground zero. I truly felt the negative energy or heavy air when I was there. It was hard to believe that I was staring at the spot where the towers used to stand. There were a large amount of people there and the memorial was jammed. I brought an SRPD patch with me and placed it on the memorial next to a number of police and fire patches. It was a very emotional moment for me and the crowd was so nice and supportive when they discovered I was in law enforcement. It was such a weird feeling of being proud of my public safety brethern who lost their life and being so sad for the familes of my public safety brethern who lost their life. I always remember those pictures of the police officers and firefighters going up the stairs of the towers while massive amounts of people are going down the stairs to safety. Anyway, I know we always hear people say, "Never Forget" and after going there I truly believe in that statement.

The night I got back home, I learned that we had a gang related homicide. Our Detectives are working on this case and as usual are showing a tenacious attitude to solve cases and bring suspects to justice. Last night, Chief Odetto, Capatain Starnes, Captain Franzini, and I attended the San Rafael City Council Meeting so the Chief could make some remarks regarding the recent spike in violent crimes. I was very happy with the Chief's synopsis of what has been going on and equally as pleased with the support of the City Council. All of us are doing everything we can to continue to keep this beautiful city safe! That is all for now, I have to start going through my piles of stuff!